13 Jul Air Conditioning Repair Service Tips & Tricks(Last Updated On: September 13, 2017)
In the middle of a hazy, hot and humid summer, is there anything worse than a broken A/C? Probably not, so how do you determine if you need air conditioning repair service?
And if you do need A/C service, how do you find a reliable technician in the middle of the summer?
After all, the home HVAC system, which controls the A/C is one of the most expensive components in any home. Homeowners want to do everything in their control to maintain their A/C system and keep it running as efficiently (and as long) as possible.
How to Know if Air Conditioning Repair Service is Needed
Homeowners dread learning (or most likely hearing) A/C issues as the summer heat starts to hit our homes. Many of us may wonder if the A/C is actually broken or another issue may be impacting your home comfort.
In order to determine if you need air conditioning repair service, then there are a few questions to ask yourself and DIY checks you can conduct prior to calling your A/C tech.
- Check the thermostat settings to make sure they have not been switched off of the “cool” or “auto” settings. If you have a programmable thermostat, make sure it is still on (if not, check the batteries).
- Ensure the A/C coils are not blocked or dirty.
- Clean the A/C air filter to ensure it is not dirty or clogged.
- Inspect the electrical panel if the A/C does turn on. The switch that controls the A/C could be tripped.
- Locate the A/C unit fan switch and ensure it is on. If the fan starts, you know your A/C receives power. If it doesn’t turn on you might have a problem with the blower motor.
Upon completion of these DIY checks (or if you do not feel comfortable checking the A/C), then there is likely an issue that requires professional repair service.
How to Compare Air Conditioning Repair Service Companies
Many homeowners have found a reliable set of service companies that help with their home needs, such as plumbing, electrical and HVAC. However, if you are still searching for that company that clicks with your criteria, it helps to compare A/C companies to find the best one that fits your needs.
If you’re not sure how to hire the best A/C company, you’re not alone. Lots of homeowners are unsure how to go about identifying, comparing, evaluating, and eventually dealing with contractors and HVAC companies.
To help, here are some criterion to ask some air conditioning repair service companies while making your decision.
- Confirm the A/C company has liability insurance.
- Determine if the A/C company offers rebates or incentives (particularly for new customers).
- Check if the A/C company offers 24/7 service.
- Find an A/C company that truly values your business.
- Ask and understand what to expect from the A/C company.
- Ensure the A/C company has NATE certification.
Tips to Deal with Air Conditioning Repair Service Techs
Homeowners place a lot of trust in the service technicians that keep their home functioning. The due diligence to identify quality A/C techs is worth the time investment, but it is also important to ensure that anyone working in your home continues to earn your trust and confidence over time.
The majority of damages to an A/C system arise from long periods of undetected problems. As a result, it can be difficult to determine the origin of an A/C problem and whether or not it is need of emergency service. To aid in the effort to develop a relationship with your air conditioning repair service provider, here are some ways to work together over time.
- Learn about the staff and company service plans, including annual maintenance check ups.
- Work with companies that will put things in writing and stand by their work.
- Schedule service during slow times of the year (this helps you and them).
- Ask as many questions as you need to understand your home (professional techs will take the time to answer every question).
- Continue to work with the same company (and tech) so they learn about your home.
You can count on SolvIt’s exceptional technicians to provide you with A/C repair and service 24/7. If anything goes wrong with your current system, the experienced team of SolvIt A/C techs will diagnose, explain, and fix the problem.
SolvIt Home Services offers all of our air conditioning repair and maintenance services to all of Connecticut. Find all of our CT services areas here.